Make Your Own Fabric Softener: It's better!

Make your own fabric softener | I Gotta Create!



I ran across a recipe for

making your own fabric softener

while researching the history of clothespins
for an article where I showed off
these beauties:



Funny how one thing leads to another.


Make your own fabric softener | I Gotta Create!



I knew right away I was trying this!
While I love the smell 
of my usual fabric softener,

I hate that blue gunk it leaves on 

the dispenser over time....


Want buttons like this? Click HERE
And I am not a fan of dryer sheets.
I've had them ruin some of my favorite clothes.
Plus, I hear they're hard on your dryer.

Of course there are other DiY recipes out there,
but they aren't necessarily "green."

So, if you truly want

"green" fabric softener, "vintage style"

here it is:

using my own twist with essential oil fragrance.
1/2 Cup baking soda
4 Cups water
3 Cups white vinegar
Optional: 5-10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
{or whatever scent you desire}

Put the baking soda in your container and add 1 cup of warm water; stir until the soda is dissolved. Then add the remaining 3 Cups of water. 


Make your own fabric softener | I Gotta Create!
Now slowly add the vinegar so that fizzy reaction doesn't go crazy and pour out of your container. Last of all, add your scent, if desired.

Make your own fabric softener | I Gotta Create!

I filled the fabric softener dispenser
and ran a load of laundry. 
Then several loads. 
Here is what I discovered:

My clothes came out brighter!
That was an unexpected bonus.

The towels and all fabrics were definitely 
fluffier and more absorbent.
Apparently that gunk you see in the washer 
also leaves a layer on the fabric, 
compressing it over time.

I wouldn't necessarily describe towels 
and clothes as "softer"... 
in fact I noticed no difference in that area: 
they were just as soft, plus I had no static.
I suspect some folks experience a sense of 
"softer" clothes due to the fluffiness.
I would say for the qualities of soft and static-free, 
so far this natural softener runs
even with the gunky store-bought stuff.


I tried it with and without the lavender 
essential oil. The plain version leaves your 
clothes smelling fresh.
The essential oil version gives just the slightest 
hint of lavender, which smells great, too!

So that's the REAL scoop!
Go natural and go vintage with your housekeeping.



That's what I am doing from now on because:

Make your own fabric softener | I Gotta Create!


You can make your own Fabric Softener.
It's better than store-bought.
It's far less expensive.
It's chemical-free: good for the environment,
you and your family!








Be sure to come link up!
{I host a linky party every Wednesday and you can find more info *HERE.*  
Plus, I party at these fine places, whose party links open on:  Sunday: Sew Darned CraftyMonday FundayIt's Party TimeI Should Be Mopping the Floor,  Craft-O-ManiacAlderberry HillSew Can DoUnder The Table  DreamingMaking The World Cuter;  Monday: Skip to My LouWhat's in the Gunny SackCowgirl Up!Rustic PigKnock Our Socks OffAdventures of a DiY MomSugar Bee CraftsTip Junkie's Tip Me TuesdaySalt Tree;  Tuesday: The Winthrop ChroniclesNot Just a HousewifeCarolyn's HomeworkElizabeth & Co.Lil' LunaThe DIY DreamerSavvy Southern StyleRae Gun RamblingsGingersnap CraftsWhimsy WednesdayToday's Creative BlogSew Much Ado;  Wednesday: I Gotta Create!Polkadots on ParadePractically FunctionalStone GableSouthern LovelyLive-Laugh-RoweThe Shabby Creek CottageThe Trendy Treehouse; Thursday: The 36th AvenueBloom Designs Jennifer Rizzo 540 MainFrugal GirlsFrench Country CottageInspiration GalleryMy Simple Home LifeMy Repurposed LifeMy Romantic HomeShabby Nest;  Friday: Anything GoesShaken TogetherSerenity Now,  A Night OwlCheerios & LattesFive Days Five WaysOne Creative MommyFunky Junk InteriorsTatertots & JelloSix Sisters StuffShabby Art BoutiqueFinding FabulousThirty Handmade Days;  Saturday: Twigg StudiosBe Different Act NormalA Bouquet of TalentTutus & Tea PartiesPolkadot PrettiesOr So She SaysBowdabraFlamingo ToesDIY ShowoffNifty Thrifty Things

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Christina. I am using a home made laundry detergent, about to try a home made dishwasher detergent today and now I get to add this to my must try list. I too am NOT a fan of the blue high smelling fabric softners. But.....
Happy to try this. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs, Gee

Cyndi said...

Thanks for this recipe! I have been using just vinegar in the rinse cycle. The clothes do smell fresh, but I like the idea of adding the essential oil. Am definitely trying this one.

Cindy Eikenberg, Little Miss Celebration said...

Hi Christina, I actually never thought to try to make my own, but your post is most definitely convincing! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Sunday! ~Cindy@littlemisscelebration.com

Sarah said...

This is awesome!! I have to try this... I love the homemade laundry detergent I have made and this softener is much more cost effective and better for sensitive skin!! Love it! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Rita Marsh said...

Cotton does not create static cling in the dryer. Only synthetic fibers do. If your towels are 100% cotton you wont need fabric softener at all. That goes for anything that is 100% cotton; jeans, t-shirts, etc.. Give it a try. I also find that I have less lint in my dryer catch when I don't use a dryer sheet. I wish all my clothes were cotton. But that is hard to accomplish sometimes. The less chemicals we use, the better for us, right?!

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

I should have clarified: I've washed towels and clothes, including synthetics, and have had no static.

Crystal said...

I am definitely going to try this. Thanks for the recipe. :-)

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Love natural and adore lavender. Definitely pinning this!

Greenacremama said...

Thanks for the tip! Found your blog through the Whimsy Wednesday blog hop. Following you on FB, G+ & bloglovin.
Have a Blessed day!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

I usually use just vinegar as softner, but this sounds like a little step up. will try it

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Well I am going to have to try this! I guess I never thought about making my own and I already have the ingredients so think I'll give it a 'spin'. Sorry. Couldn't resist!